D. Economic Development Commission
To promote the growth of Hebron’s non-residential tax base in a manner consistent with the town plan while minimizing the impact on the existing environment or the desirable rural character of the community by:
- Working to retain and assist existing businesses;
- Working to attract new low-impact business development to Hebron that will increase tax revenues, and provide desirable goods, services and employment opportunities.
Pro-Active Economic Development Commission with a Business-Friendly Outlook:
- Coordinated and participated in the “First Impressions” program organized by the University of Connecticut and the Connecticut Main Street Center .
- Coordinated the Hebron Center Market Study process involving many members of the Hebron business community.
- Continue to implement the recommendations of the Market Study.
- Sponsor free seminars for Hebron businesses. Topics included local and regional resources, marketing, financing, and using the Internet.
- The Commission sponsors Business Breakfast Networking Meetings with local businesses every other month to keep in touch with our businesses.
- Involved with other Town officials and agencies in obtaining grants, including Small Town Economic Assistance Program (STEAP) grants for developing the Town Center, improving the Town Green, and other economic development related activities such as the successful Façade Improvement Program.
- Involved with a Task Force to assist the Town in cleaning up brownfields sites to promote economic development.
- Builds strong partnerships with local, regional and state development agencies and associations.
- Develop business incentives including Hebron’s first tax abatement policy to assist local businesses.
Hebron’s Economic Development Commission:
- Neil Amwake, Chairman
- Peter Casarella, Vice Chairman
- Gerald Garfield, Secretary
- Jon Lesisko
- Judith Podell
Economic Development Commission Meetings:
The Economic Development Commission generally meets on the 3rd Monday of the month at 7:00 p.m. in the Town Office Building, 15 Gilead Street, Hebron.
Interested in being a Member of the Commission ?
There are now vacancies on the Economic Development Commission, both as a Regular Member and as an Alternate Member. The Commission is reaching out to Town residents, and in particular Town residents who are business owners, to ask them to consider joining the Commission. See the announcement in the latest edition of the Nov.2018.EDC News.
Contact Andrew J. Tierney, the Hebron Town Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org , or at 860-228-5971, x122; or, contact Michael O’Leary, the Hebron Director of Planning, at email@example.com , or at 860-228-5971, x137. They can inform you if there are current vacancies on the Commission and how to request an appointment. In addition, you are highly encouraged to attend one of the regular meetings of the Commission and introduce yourself.
Agendas and Minutes of the Commission:
Click on the links which will bring you to the Boards and Commissions Minutes and Agenda page of the Hebron website.
STAFF TO THE EDC:
- Michael O’Leary, Director of Planning and Development ( firstname.lastname@example.org )
Interested in doing business in Hebron?
Andrew J. Tierney, Town Manager