Joseph J. Summers
Building Official / Zoning Enforcement Officer
BUILDING DEPARTMENT MISSION STATEMENT:
The Building Department is a professional business-friendly office committed to preserving the health, welfare and safety of Hebron residents, businesses and the general public through effective and efficient administration of the Connecticut State Building Code and the Hebron Zoning Regulations. This is accomplished by working together through open communication and cooperation with the community we serve. We are committed to providing quality services to all citizens through excellence in customer service, timely delivery, innovation, high level of professionalism and continuous improvement. We believe that through education and cooperation, we can and will build positive working relationships within the building community, and among consumers and Hebron residents.
The primary function of the Building Department is to insure the health, safety and general welfare of the public. This is accomplished by:
- Performing plan reviews
- Issuing permits and conducting inspections to insure compliance with the Connecticut State Building Code and local ordinances.
- Issuing necessary orders and notices to remove illegal or unsafe conditions.
- Requiring the necessary safeguards during construction and demolition of structures.
- Interpreting and providing guidance regarding all applicable codes to Architects, Engineers, contractors, developers and other interested parties.
- Reviewing applications with the Town Planner, Town Engineer, Fire Marshal, Chatham Health District, along with various other local, state, and federal agencies as required.
A permit is required whenever any owner or authorized agent intends to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish, or change the occupancy of a building or structure, or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical, or plumbing system. For a list of items that are exempt from permit requirements, click here.
Individuals requesting an inspection need to give our office a minimum of 24 hours notice. It shall be the duty of the person requesting any inspections to provide access to and means for inspection of such work. To schedule an inspection call the office at 860-228-5971 ext. 141 for Louise or ext. 138 for Donna.
It generally takes 2-3 days for applications not requiring a plan review and 2-weeks for applications requiring plan reviews. The Connecticut State Building Code allows us up to 30-days to either deny or approve an application for a permit.
Please be aware the Town of Hebron has an ordinance stating that no application for a building permit, certificate of occupancy, sewer or septic permit or any other municipal permit shall be granted if the property owner is delinquent on taxes, sewer assessments and sewer use charges for the premises.
The following forms are available online in either pdf format or screen fillable word document. The application forms are also available in the Building Department.
|Building/Zoning Application Form||Word|
|Demolition Application Form||Word|
|Fire Protection Application Form||Word|
In addition to the application form you may also require approval from the Chatham Health District. Generally you will need to complete a B-100a form whenever you are planning on an addition, building a pool, shed or deck or finishing off additional interior space when you have a private sewage disposal system on your property. You may also be required to renew your permit to discharge for your sewage disposal system. These forms can be located at Chatham Health District.
Please contact the Building Department either by phone or email in order to determine the correct fees for your particular project.
Property owners and contractors have the ability to check the status of building permit applications, permits and retrieve inspection results online.
A report is prepared by the Building Department each month with information on the number of permits issued along with the types of permits the construction value and fees collected. The reports can be located at Monthly Reports.
I WOULD LIKE INFORMATION ON?
Information is being updated, please check back
- Deck Construction Details
- What work is exempt from the requirements of a building permit?
- Requirements for construction of a new home or an addition?
- Requirements for a shed or deck
- What to do if I had work done on my home without a permit?
- Schedule of town fees
- Residential Swimming Pools
- Do I need a permit for a lawn irrigation system? Yes, a permit is required and here is a brochure on the requirements for a lawn irrigation system prepared by the Department of Consumer Protection.
- I want to be a new home, what should I look for in hiring a contractor? DCP has information as to what will need to be in a contract, click here.
PA_16-09 An Act Concerning Demolition Permits
PA_16-45 An Act Concerning Concrete Foundations